Thursday 6 September 2012

Finding that comfortable range.

I went singing alone today :D. Planned to sing for 3 hours only, but it ended so soon that I sang for another 3. Guess time flies when you're having fun!

Ever since I first went to Kbox back in Secondary School, I've been going to karaoke pretty often. But I've never thought that I can sing well. As much I like singing, it is really difficult, for when I sing guys' songs I can't reach the low notes and for girls, the high notes. My vocal range is on the low side and it's really limited. My breath can't last long, and my voice is nothing special either. When I sing certain songs I'd feel really frustrated because I'd be ruining the awesome songs, and even though I know what note I'm supposed to hit, often I can't. And I don't know how to improve other than to keep singing, so I still sing, even though my own singing hurts my ears and my frustration sometimes saps me of any enjoyment that I usually feel when singing.

Today, I did one thing differently. Instead of struggling to fit into the artists' range, I raised/lowered the pitch of the song by a few keys to suit my own range. It's really funny, now that I think about it, how I never even thought of doing this before in my many years of singing. I think I was too proud, finding it embarrassing to not be able to sing the songs in their original pitch. So I steered away from the songs that are obviously out of my range, and sang other songs in their original pitch even if they might be slightly uncomfortably low/high. But why should I not change the pitch, really? It's so much more comfortable to sing within my own range, and I sound better less horrible too. So I was really happy today, because I found my own range :). And I was rather surprised that I was able to catch the key after a few beats, when I lowered/raised the pitch. Guess I'm not tone deaf after all ^^.

It's still hard, though, because a lot of singers have very a wide vocal range, which means that the beginning is usually low but the ending is really high. So after a few tries singing girls' songs, I gave up and stuck to guys' songs (raised a few keys). It's not much of an achievement, I admit, to keep singing easy songs, but I'm gonna take it one step at a time. Now that I have found my range, I can work towards expanding it!

Today's song of the day is 羅志祥's 怕安靜. Sang it a few times, because it's a nice song and it's easy to sing XD.


I love singing :). 

No comments:

Post a Comment